This seven-story hotel was built in 1894 as the Nicholson Hotel by Issac C. Nicholson. It was renovated, expanded, and renamed the Hotel Tulane in 1896. The Tulane hosted many distinguished guests during the 1897 Tennessee Centennial Exposition and in 1911 was the site of the founding of the Nashville Equal Suffrage League. In 1947, three WSM radio engineers founded Nashville's first recording studio here, Castle Studio. Castle's most famous artist was Hank Williams, who recorded the country-crossover hit "Lovesick Blues" here on December 22, 1948. The Hotel Tulane closed in April 1956 and was razed in November of the same year.