Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.

All Stories: 31

Fisk Memorial Chapel, designed by New York architect William Bigelow, was erected in 1892 in memory of General Clinton B. Fisk, a founder of the University. The religious and cultural center of the campus, the Chapel has welcomed foreign dignitaries,…

The French-Starr Building on Fifth Avenue was first built and occupied by the Jesse French Piano & Organ Company. The architecture is Victorian/Queen Anne style, and the four-story building has an ornate sheet metal facade. Originally established in…

Founded in 1866, the Fisk Jubilee Singers were organized in 1871 to help raise money for the school's new campus in North Nashville. The original group had seven women and four men including Ella Sheppard Moore. The group was led by George White. The…

Erected in 1876, Jubilee Hall was the first permanent structure built on the Fisk University campus. Named for Fisk’s world-famous Jubilee Singers, this Victorian Gothic structure is sometimes called “frozen music.” Jubilee Hall is a National…

Spanning three city blocks between Fourth and Fifth Avenues, this area was known as Printer's Alley, so named at the turn of the twentieth century. Approximately thirteen publishers, ten printers, and two newspapers occupied office spaces that backed…

Share this Page